Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Week 100: The Escobars

     Happy Memorial Day family and friends!  This week was fantastic and we witnessed many miracles.  I'm sad to report that this week I started my last transfer as a missionary (my mom's feelings are quite the opposite).  Tuesday, I will hit my 23rd month mark.

     On Wednesday, I said goodbye to one of my most legendary companions, Elder Bingham.  He taught me many lessons that will stick with me for my entire life.  He is incredibly skilled as a missionary and his desire to be obedient is inspiring.  I am very grateful to have served with him the last 2 transfers.

     My new companion, Elder Schrader is a stud.  I've grown very close to him throughout my mission as we have served in 2 other districts together prior to becoming companions.  He is from Twin Falls, ID and has been on his mission for 21 months.  I am very excited to serve with him for the last weeks of my mission.  We are both going to finish strong.

     This Sunday was so memorable.  We had 10 investigators attend sacrament meeting!  It was so cool to see investigator after investigator walk into the chapel.  Revere is starting to blow up!

     We picked up a super cool family this week.  We received a referral for a lady named Kori who wanted a visit.  On Tuesday, Elder Bingham and I were able to visit her and taught her the restoration.  She said that a few years ago she was living in Pawtucket, RI and some missionaries knocked on her door.  She let them in and they started teaching her.  She doesn't remember anything they said, but she has never forgotten the way she felt as she spoke with them.  Life got busy and she lost contact.  Fast forward to now, she remembered how she felt when the missionaries had come to her house and wanted to feel that way again.  We taught her and her husband, Kevin on Saturday and on Sunday they both came to church!

     Sunday night we had the most incredible lesson with the Escobar family.  We taught them the Gospel of Jesus Christ by using pieces of paper representing faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end as "stepping blocks" to eternal life.  At the end of the lesson, we had Alfredo, the father, walk across the steps first and stand facing the family.  Next, we had Gabriela walk across the steps and stand with her husband.  Finally, we had Fabiana, their 8 year old daughter, walk across the steps and join her parents.  As they stood together as a family, we asked them if they would be baptized on June 16th so they could prepare to have an eternal family.  Gabriela looked over at Alfredo and he said yes!  The spirit was very strong.  Through teaching them and working with their family, I know that without a doubt God wants families to be eternal.  We are so excited for them.

     I love being a missionary and feeling a small portion of the love the Heavenly Father has for His children.  I know that He is aware of all our needs.  As we are obedient to Him and His commandments, He will fill us with light and truth.

Love,
Elder Gutierrez

Elder Schrader and Elder Gutierrez at the Boston Temple on Memorial Day 2018

Elder Gutierrez and Elder Schrader - P-day at the Boston Temple

Elder Bingham's Last P-day in Revere was spent in Boston - May 21, 2018

Elder Gutierrez in Downtown Boston

My son, Elder Barlow, trained him 18 months ago.

Celebrating Earl's 20th Birthday

Elder Schrader . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment