Monday, January 23, 2017

Week 30: Newport, Lobstah, and the Temple

      Hello from Rhode Island!  This week was so great to be able to start getting familiar with my new area and to meet several of the people we are teaching and helping come closer to Christ here in Warwick.  Rhode Island isn't much different from Massachusetts.  The people are just as crazy and nice.  The ward seems great.  Something that I am very excited about is that we cover the stakes the YSA ward is in here too!  The YSA ward is super fun and it's a blast to be around people our age.  The members are also way more excited about missionary work in the YSA ward and are always inviting non-members to church.  This Sunday I had the opportunity to speak in the YSA ward on the atonement and the sacrament, which are both so precious to me.

      Monday and Tuesday I got to spend the days in Newport on exchanges with Elder Larsen.  Elder Larsen came out one month after me and is from Logan, UT.  We had a few great days together and got tons of new investigators in his area.  Most of the plans that we had fell through so we basically tracted and street contacted all day.  We got about 6 new people for them to teach, which is so great!

     In our area, we are working with some great people that I will try to keep you all posted on.  Our main investigators are Patricia, Meleina, Adella, and a new investigator we picked up this week named Hank.  I am very excited to be working with these people.  Hank especially because he is very open and wants to make some changes in his life.  He is about 30 years old and hopefully we will extend a baptismal date to him tomorrow!

     Saturday, I had a very,very special experience and tender mercy at the Boston Temple.  It was Recent Convert Temple Day and we were taking Daniel, one of our recent converts to do baptisms for his grandpa.  As we were walking towards the temple doors, out walked Carline Lysonge, one of my favorite investigators from Worcester!  I left the area before she was baptized and really hadn't heard much since I left.  It was such a powerful and rewarding feeling seeing her come out of the temple with a huge smile on her face.  You could easily tell that she was different, she was happier and joy radiated from her.  Christ had changed her life and it was amazing that I had the opportunity to help a little in that process.  In that moment, I felt that I really was helping people by being out here and I am so grateful for the Gospel and what it can do for people.

     I'm loving it here in Rhode Island!  Thank you all so much for your continual love and support.  I love you all and I know that God and his Son, Jesus Christ, love you all so much.

Love,
Elder Gutierrez
Carline Lysonge at the Boston Temple

Daniel Rodriguez at the Temple with Elder Gutierrez and Elder Duggar

Exchanges with Elder Larsen in Newport, Rhode Island

Newport, Rhode Island

Newport Bridge 

Zone Conference with my dad, Elder Scoresby and my son, Elder Barlow

Look what you find tracting Newport

LOBSTAH!!





No comments:

Post a Comment