Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 29: Today I Woke Up in Rhode Island

     I've got big news . . . again!  I am now serving in Warwick, Rhode Island!  Yesterday, I got a call from President Miller telling me that I would be leaving that same night to Warwick, Rhode Island.

    Today there was a missionary that went home early, so President had me fill his spot here.  My new companion's name is Elder Duggar.  At first, I was super shocked and bummed when I heard that I was leaving West Bridgewater, but I know that I'm going to enjoy Warwick and I'm here for a reason.  This is Elder Duggar's last transfer on his mission and I'm excited to learn a lot from him.

     My last week in West Bridgewater was so amazing and I am so grateful that I was able to serve there with such great missionaries.  Elder Tilly and Elder Rich taught me so much in the short week and a half that I was with them.  And even though I was there for such a short time, we still had a baptism!!  Our investigator, Osa, was baptized on Saturday!!!  WOOOOOHOOOOO, he bore such a powerful testimony after his baptism of the prophet Joseph Smith.  I'm very grateful to have been part of his conversion.  This week we also had Mission Leadership Conference, it was great to go there and learn from President Miller on how to counsel our zones.  In that meeting, we set goals for the upcoming year and we set a huge goal of 600 baptisms in the year of 2017!  Friday, I gave my first training as a Zone Leader which was great.  We picked up some awesome investigators this week that I will be excited to hear about as time goes on.  My time in West Bridgewater was the best!

     Yesterday, I was pondering on all the things that I learned from Elder Tilly and Elder Rich and I want to share some of those things.  One of the biggest things I learned from them was the need and importance of the Holy Ghost in a persons conversion.  It is essential!  Also the need of the Holy Ghost as we teach, there were several times when we would teach where the Holy Ghost would either help us to know when and when not to speak in a lesson.  As a missionary, it is our purpose to help those we teach recognize the promptings of the Spirit and be able to learn from those experiences.  This is something that both Elder Tilly and Elder Rich were really good at.  I also learned a lot about my studies as a missionary and how powerful they can be as we study for those we are teaching and write down the revelations we receive from the Lord.  And finally, one of the greatest things I learned is how to truly love those who I am teaching and serving with.  I love my Heavenly Father and I absolutely know that he loves all of His children perfectly.  With that in mind, it is such a sacred opportunity to serve a mission and teach His children who are searching for Him or have gone astray from His fold.

     I am so excited to be here in Rhode Island and I am excited for the experiences I will have here with Elder Duggar.  Thank you so much for all the love and support I receive.  I love you all.

Love,
Elder Gutierrez

Four companions in one photo - Elder Stewart, Elder Gutierrez, Elder Scoresby, Elder Tilly and Elder Rich

Osa's baptism on January 14, 2017 in West Bridgewater

The TRIO - Elder Gutierrez, Elder Tilly, and Elder Rich

My new companion - Elder Duggar and new area - Warwick, Rhode Island

No comments:

Post a Comment