Monday, October 10, 2016

Week 15: Peace Out Worcester!

     It has been a very exciting and eventful week.  On Saturday, I found out that I am being transferred to Franklin, Massachusetts.  Neither Elder Stewart or I thought that either one of us would be leaving, but I am excited to learn new things in this new area.  At first, I wasn't too happy to be leaving Worcester because I feel as if I am just now familiar with the ward and the city.  I feel as if I have so much unfinished work in Worcester, but I know our Heavenly Father needs me elsewhere and I am excited about the opportunity.  I leave on Wednesday, October 12th.  My new companion is Elder Weber and that's all I know.

     This week President Miller challenged the mission to break the record of most investigators picked up in one week (even with most of the Sister missionaries working in the Hartford Temple Open House) for the Massachusetts Boston mission which was 205.  As a zone, district, and companionship we made goals to break the record and ......we got 314 new investigators in one week!  It was so cool to feel the whole mission working together and united in spreading the gospel in full force.  Our zone set out to get 30 investigators and we got 47.  Elder Stewart and I reached our goal at 8 new investigators this week.

     As I have reflected about my service here in Worcester, I am so blessed and grateful for the opportunity to serve here.  My favorite thing about Worcester has been teaching people from all over the world.  I have taught people from Liberia, Jamaica, Sierra Leon, Iraq, Albania, Nigeria, Haiti, Congo, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and of course Ghana.  I have loved meeting people from all over the world who have a desire to learn more about Christ.  It is so amazing how no matter where you are from or what you look like, that the Gospel can bless all of our lives!

     This week we got to go to the temple with Jude, Carol, James, and Emmanuel!  It was so awesome to see four of our recent converts perform sacred ordinances for those in their families who never had the chance to hear the Gospel.  I love temples so much and especially the Boston Temple.

     So this week we also met Jeff Paul Keller.....Elder Stewart and I were on our way home and this guy came up to us and asked us if we were from the Latter-day Saints church.  We said yes and he invited us to his apartment.  So we were pretty excited to figure out who this guy was.  Long story short Jeff Paul Keller is definitely somebody I will never forget.  He's probably about 50 years old, very few teeth, heavy set, and one heck of a personality.  He shared with us many things and told us how some LDS missionaries helped clean his apartment once and he was very impressed with their service.  He then shared with us a rap that he made to help people remember his name.  "Jeff Paul Keller.....Like Helen Keller.....Blind and Deaf.....Rhymes with Jeff!.....The apostle Paul.....Like JFK.....But JPK!" ,or something like that HAHA!!  Anyway, he started to question us on what we thought about specific stories in the Bible and Elder Stewart thought it would be best to leave when he started getting angry.

     Fast forward to Sunday.  Fast and Testimony meeting starts and out of nowhere walks in Jeff Paul Keller!  We didn't even give him the church address!  He walked straight in and up to the pulpit and with the voice of a very out of tune very loud trumpet rapped his name song twice, sang Amazing Grace (Opera Style) and Swing Low Sweet Chariot (Opera Style) and then sat down!!  The performance lasted about 10 minutes.  The ward members were so confused and Elder Stewart and I weren't sure what was going on.  In the end, everything turned out alright and the ward members loved it.  Oh Jeff Paul Keller, great guy and I will never get his rap out of my head.

     Thanks you for all your support.  Julia's baptism as of now is a go for the 16th of October.  Her family is still not supportive in anyway but we are so thankful for the miracles and blessings we see everyday.  Hopefully I'll be able to come back to Worcester for the baptism.  Thanks for all the support and love!

Love,
Elder Gutierrez

Recent Convert Temple Day - James and Emmanuel's 1st Time Going to the Temple
Jude, Elder Stewart, Elder Gutierrez (sporting the llama tie from Peru), Emmanuel, Carol and James

Elder Gutierrez and Elder Stewart at the Boston Temple

Visiting Bob at the Hospital

Teaching Giordan in the dance room of his boarding school.

Tamara and Purson's family from Haiti.

Ashley Street meets Nathaniel Street
Fall in Worcester
Fall Leaves in Massachusetts

Brother Ciunci the HIMER!







No comments:

Post a Comment