Monday, April 3, 2017

Week 40: Conference Weekend

     What an amazing week it has been in Warwick.  Elder Phillipsen and I saw lots of ups and downs, but General Conference was so amazing and I know that the messages spoken there were answers to our prayers.  Also Mother Nature sent us an April's Fools joke by having it snow on Saturday.

     Earlier this week, we were able to pick up a new investigator named Mike.  Mike is Marc's (our recent convert's) employer.  We stopped by to see Marc and Mike was helping Marc fix up his truck.  We invited him to hear our message and he enjoyed it greatly.  He told us of an experience in his life where God saved his life.  Mike is a fantastic guy and we really hope we can continue to teach him and help him come closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

     President Miller issued a challenge to all of the missionaries in our mission this week.  His challenge is to read the Book of Mormon in the next two months, marking every time the Savior is mentioned, the doctrine of Christ is taught, and every time the Lord promises something.  As I have begun this challenge, I have been filled with a greater love and appreciation for the Book of Mormon.  It truly is the word of God and it truly can bring us closer to God than any other book known to man.  Something that has amazed me is there has not been a single page that has not mentioned Jesus Christ, by one of his titles, several times.  I know that it is another testament of our Savior's birth, ministry, and his anticipated return.  My advice to everyone is the same as President Thomas S. Monson. "If you are not reading it every day, please do so."  I promise you will be blessed and protected from the ever growing evils of the world.

     "General Conference is a time of reflection, revelation, and sometimes redirection." - Elder Sabin.  This week my testimony of God's chosen representatives has been strengthened so greatly.  I cannot express how much gratitude I have for the messages that were shared during conference and the messages that the Holy Ghost was able to share with each of us privately as we listened.  Over and over again I noticed how the speakers testified boldly of the love our God and our Redeemer have for each and every one of us.  I know this is true.  As I have been able to serve His children, I have been able to get just a small glimpse of that love.  Despite race, sin, age, shape, size, weaknesses, failures, and whatever else may phase us in this life, they love us.  I loved how Elder Renlund spoke about Jesus Christ as our shepherd saying, "Should the scabs of the sheep cause the shepherd to recoil?"  The answer is no.  He is and will always be filled with love, compassion, and empathy for us.  This should then make us want to be better and to change.  "Because Christ loves us, He asks more of us", Elder Palmer.  I know that living the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way for us to find pure joy in our lives.  Our Heavenly Father's plan is perfect and I know that "in a darkening world, the light of Christ will shine brighter and brighter", Elder Bragg.

     Thank you all who support me and encourage me.  I am so grateful for your love and encouragement.  I know that the church is true and the blue book is true!  Love you all.

Love,
Elder Gutierrez

Family Home Evening with the Weishaar Family - Brigham, 5, and Benson, 3

Delicious Food at the Smith's

Dinner Appointment with the Smith's

General Conference Weekend - No staying home on the couch in Rhode Island

No comments:

Post a Comment