Monday, February 20, 2017

Week 34: Welcome Elder Phillipsen

     This week I had to say goodbye to Elder Duggar, he was a great companion and I am so grateful for all the experiences I had with him.  He was able to give me some really helpful advice as well.  He said, "When we give all that we can, the Holy Ghost makes up the difference".  I really liked what Elder Duggar said because as missionaries and people in general we are far from perfect but if we are doing everything we can the Spirit will fill in our gaps, words of wisdom right there! #TeachMeHowTo Duggar

     My new companion's name is Elder Phillipsen!  He is from Payson, UT and he has been on his mission for 3 months.  I have had a great week with Elder Phillipsen as we have tried to find new investigators.  Our first day together we found a ton of great potential investigators.  One of them is a 99 year old lady named Ms. Louise and the three other investigators are kids of a former investigator.  On Saturday, we were able to teach a lesson to the three kids and they came to church on Sunday!  There names are Jazmyne (11), Janasia (10), and Janiah (9).  Their grandma is a less-active member who we are working on getting back to full activity.

     Also this week, we were able to have a mini missionary with us.  His name is Owen Clark and he is from the Franklin Branch in Massachusetts so I already knew him!  It was so much fun to have him with us from Friday to Sunday.  Hopefully we were able to show him what it is like to be a missionary and how amazing and rewarding the work is.

     I recently found out some very, very sad news.  Bob Amoa-Awua, the first investigator I ever met, whom I have grown to love so much is not doing very well.  He has had some very difficult health problems in the past such as cancer and now his body is failing.  The doctors say he only has a couple more weeks left so this Wednesday I was able to visit him in Worcester.  When I saw him, he was the same old happy and energetic Bob.  We talked, read from the Book of Mormon, and then he pulled out his guitar and played us a song.  I am so grateful for the time I got to spend with him and for the opportunity I had to be taught by him rather than me teaching him.  He has said so many profound things as I have visited with him and I am so grateful that I know Bob.  I'll keep you posted on how he is doing in the coming weeks.

     It has been a great week and a great day.  We were able to go to the temple this morning for President's Day.  I am so blessed to be part of this great work and I hope you all have missionary opportunities and take advantage of them this week!  A scripture that I read this week that I really enjoyed was 4 Nephi 1:15-16.  It mentions in verse 16: "there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God."  but what really stood out to me was why they were so happy in verse 15: "because of the love of God".  I pray and hope that we may all strive to love our God that much, so that we too can find real happiness.

Love you all!!

Elder Gutierrez

District Lunch

Visiting Bob

Saying Good-bye to Elder Duggar

YSA Ward - Matt and Wei

Elder Phillipsen, mini missionary, Owen, and Elder Gutierrez

Elder Phillipsen and Elder Gutierrez at the Boston Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment