Monday, February 13, 2017

Week 33: Winter's Here!

     So there's this weird thing that happens every year in New England where the snow doesn't actually come until February.  It has been super cold here since November but not until this week did the snow actually come!  Thursday we got 18 inches, Saturday we got more, and it is supposed to snow all week.  So we can officially say WINTER IS HERE.

     Due to all the snow not too much happened here in Warwick.  Schools were closed, businesses weren't open, and we were red dotted (stuck in the apartment).  Even with all the snow Elder Duggar and I were still able to make the most of our time when the roads were safe to drive on and we found some great potential investigators that we may start teaching soon.  Most of our other investigators have been slacking hard and we are really hoping that we can help them get where they need to be again.

     Super cool experience this week:  On Tuesday, we were finishing up the day and we wanted to make one more stop by a less-active members house.  We looked  at the YSA Ward list and there were 3 names and households we didn't know near where we were.  We chose a man named Estavan.  We found his house and knocked on the door.  He answered and told us his name and invited us in!  We spoke to him for a while and he told us about how he found the church and his conversion story.  He said that he was active for two years after he was baptized but then moved to Guatemala and couldn't find the church there.  When he moved back to the US, he missed the church and the people but felt to embarrassed to show up after not coming for a year.  He told us he was so excited to see that the missionaries had come back to visit him.  He came to church with us this week!  He absolutely loved it and wants to start reading from the scriptures again, coming to church, and living the gospel again!  It was such a blessing that Heavenly Father directed us to his name and that we were able to find and bring back one of His lost sheep.

     This Sunday, I had the opportunity to give a talk on the Plan of Salvation to the Warwick Ward.  I was so excited to give this talk because the Plan of Salvation and the doctrine therein is so amazing.  The Gospel being taught in the spirit world, the resurrection, eternal families, and the celestial kingdom are all such beautiful eternal truths that I personally love so much and I love teaching them to others.  In my talk, I related God's Plan of Happiness to the 50 mile backpacking trip I took when I was twelve years old.  Much preparation was needed and there were many hard times during the trip, but because of my amazing scout leader I was able to finish the 50 miles.  There is no way I could have done it without him.  Thanks Arkin Hill!  Like so, without our Savior Jesus Christ, not a single soul could come back to live with God again.  I am so extraordinarily grateful for his eternal and never ending sacrifice so that we can choose to become clean.  We are so blessed as members of Christ's church to know that we CAN become clean and that we CAN live with God again!

    It is Elder Duggar's last week in the mission as he returns home on Wednesday.  My new companion is Elder Phillipsen.  I am super excited to work with him and he has only been out on his mission for 12 weeks.  I will also be serving as the District Leader of this area as well.  I am pretty excited about this calling from President Miller.  Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!  I really do love you all so much and am so grateful for your love, support, and prayers.  Have a blessed week!

Love,
Elder Gutierrez

WICKED COLD!!

WICKED New England Weather

Red Dotted (Snowed in so I'll sport some USU gear)

YSA Ward Men

No comments:

Post a Comment