Monday, July 25, 2016

Week 4: Worcester, Massachusetts

Family and Friends,

     Massachusetts is awesome, I've been in the field for 6 days now. I am serving in the Worcester area, which is pronounced "wusta" here in New England. This is the craziest place I've ever been. Worcester is full of liquor stores, hookah lounges, tattoo parlors, smoke shops, and CHURCHES! There are soooo many churches here, you can always see a steeple, no matter where you are. The only thing crazier than the area is the people of Worcester. The accents are very thick and they are all pretty blunt. Most people here either speak Spanish, are classic new englanders, or are immigrants from Africa. Pretty diverse, the people are crazy but I love them so much. The ward members are very welcoming and I definitely got called to the best place ever. People here live pretty poorly and it's amazing how much faith they all have in Jesus Christ. 

     My last week at the MTC was fantastic. I had THE best teachers and they truly strengthened my testimony and desire to serve so much. The Sunday before we left Elder Bednar came and spoke to us. That is when I truly realized what a mission is all about, and what I learned is that I am nothing. Nothing without Christ, missions are not about the missionary at all. It's about being an instrument for the Savior.   Through Him we can become so much more, only if we are willing to forget about the natural man in all of us. I invite you all to turn outward as Christ would when the natural man would turn inward. 

     Flying into Boston was amazing, it was so crazy being in the airport and realizing that I represent Christ everywhere I go. President Miller is my mission president, he and his wife are so kind and welcoming. They are very sweet and I know that they are called by God. My companion is...... *drum roll* Elder Scoresby!!!! He is from AZ, he has been out for 10 months. He is such a great trainer and he is an amazing missionary. We had a baptism on my very first week and we have one planned for next week! James was baptized this week, he is a amazing guy. He is 18 and his at home situation isn't very good, but he has so much faith and has such strong desire to follow Christ. Bob is hopefully getting baptized this Saturday.  He is 61 and is from Ghana, he is a cancer survivor and he is such a cool old man. 

I'm so excited to be serving here in Worcester, MA. Thank you for all the prayers and support. 

Love, 
Elder Gutierrez

Elder Evans & Elder Gutierrez with MTC teachers, Sister Badham and Sister Linford

Elder Gutierrez & Braden Hill (Best friend and MTC teacher)

Massachusetts Boston Mission MTC District
Flying into Boston

Arriving in Boston

Elder Scoresby & Elder Gutierrez with James

Sunset in Worcester

Churches Everywhere in Worcester - You Can Always See a Steeple

No comments:

Post a Comment